Without a doubt, concrete is one of the most durable materials. However, whether like it or not, it would wear and tear. Stuff like water, extreme temperatures, strong impact, frequent usage, and the like can affect its performance and shorten its lifespan. Traditionally, homeowners hire people to remove the existing slab and replace it with a new mix. This is still an efficient method but it is undoubtedly expensive and time-consuming. Property owners would be glad to know that decorative concrete offers several concrete applications for concrete pool deck , patio, garage floor, and concrete driveway repair in Minneapolis, MN, improving its appeal and function at the same time.
We offer decorative fixes that not only addresses damage but also updates the look of any concrete surface. You’d be surprised at how much benefits you acquire at such a small investment.
Concrete Repair or Replacement?
It is true that concrete can be repaired but there are certain instances when a replacement might be more suitable. If you are unsure which one you should choose, here are issues that require a replacement:
- Deep Cracks – There are many different types of cracks. Small, hairline types can easily be filled in or resurfaced. However, those that are too large and deep may require more than a repair. Oftentimes, these are caused by deep issues. Working cracks are those that reappear, often caused by moving water or subgrade underneath the slab.
- Freeze-thaw Damage – The continuous freezing and thawing of water within a slab could cause it to weaken and break. Water tends to expand when it freezes and this causes pressure in the concrete. Since this type of damage happens within the slab, changing the entire slab would be more appropriate and longer-lasting solution.
- Structural Damage – Most slabs have steel foundations. You know that the steel structure is damaged when you notice rust oozing out of cracks on the surface. No amount of concrete resurfacing or repairing can fix this so it’s better to remove the concrete and replace the steel structure.
Concrete Repair Options
- Resurfacing – Minor surface damage can be fixed with a thin layer of overlay or concrete. This creates a new surface that can be customized to look the way you want. It is also a great way to extend the lifespan of the existing slab.
- Refinishing – Similar to sanding or repainting wood, a slab is refinished to enhance the look. This is done on structurally sound surfaces that have aesthetic issues like spill stains or discoloration.
- Resealing – Any contractor would recommend sealing concrete surfaces. Concrete is very porous so it is but natural to seal off its pores to protect it from debris or liquids. Sealers often only last a couple of years or less in heavy traffic areas. This is why concrete flooring needs to be resealed every few years to maintain the protection it provides.
Need concrete repair advice from one of the top concrete contractors? Call us at (612) 268-6687.
Damage can cause tremendous stress. We at Minneapolis Concrete Artisans, a locally owned company make sure that it won’t be. We are a local Minneapolis concrete repair contractor that also specializes in commercial, and garage flooring, patios sidewalks, pool decks, concrete driveways, interior floors.
Why replace concrete when there are affordable patio repair and refinishing options available? Let us help you out. Give us a call and request for a free consultation and free estimate.
We also service Twin Cities, St. Paul, and other Minneapolis MN surrounding areas.